This condition can occur by itself or it can be associated with inflammation of the conjunctiva or the iris. The staphylococcus organism is the one of the most common causative factors for this condition.
A „chalazion‟ is a red boil that forms on the inner surface of the eyelid when one of the oil gland gets blocked due to some reason. This can also present with complaints of redness and pain in the eyes and a sensation as if a foreign body is present in the eyes and can be accompanied with some kind of discharge.
Plucking the infected eyelash or applying warm, moist compresses usually helps to break open the stye and drain out the pus. Avoid applying any eye makeup since that will hamper the healing process. The patient should give proper rest to his eyes and not remain awake for long at night. He should avoid reading and straining his eyes too much. Also advice the patient to avoid going out in the sun as far as possible. It is important to ask the patient to avoid touching or scratching the stye since that could spread the infection to the other eye.
Some home remedies
- Take a lot of fresh juicy fruits and raw or lightly cooked green vegetables and some nuts and dry fruits like walnuts, dates, raisins, figs (anjeer), etc.
- Soak a few almonds overnight and then the next morning grind it into a paste and take this regularly after meals for a few days.
- Adding a few drops of rose water in the eye proves to be soothing.
- Make a poultice of black tea and place it moist over the eye especially at night on going off to sleep.
- Applying a paste made from cloves (lavang) over the stye helps.
- A paste made from red sandalwood known as raktachandan when applied locally over the stye, acts as an astringent and has a cooling effect.
- A paste made from red lead (sindoor) moistened with water should be applied locally on the stye.
- Aloe Vera gel can be applied to the stye several times daily.
- For styes that tend to recur, but keep changing the spot of affection, with itching and burning in the eyes and the eyes get agglutinated on waking in the morning, Pulsatilla 200C, four pills thrice daily.
- Staphysagria 30C, four pills thrice daily, for recurrent styes and chalazions in very sensitive individuals.
- For recurrent styes in women who have become indifferent to household duties and also in cases where there is induration of the stye, Sepia 200C is a useful remedy.
- In cases where suppuration takes place in the stye, Hepar Sulph 30C, four pills every four hours.
- In cases of obstinate indurations in the eyelid, especially if the corners of the eyelid are hot and dry or in cases where there is a profuse flow of tears in open air, Thuja mother tincture is applied locally over the night and in the morning.