Functions of vitamin E :
- Vitamin E is a wonder drug. It works in association with vitamin B, Vitamin C, and B carotene to delay the onset of cataract.
- It prevents chronic diseases such as cancer and heart diseases. It is also beneficial for the safety of fetus in the womb and prevents impotence in men.
- It also works as an antioxidant, by disabling the production of free radicals in tissues by reacting with them to form a tocopheryl radical. As it is, a fat-soluble vitamin, it is incorporated into cell membranes, which protects them from oxidative damage.
- It maintains cell integrity and dehydrates the skin.
- It also plays role in eye and neurological functions and inhibition of platelet coagulation.
- It protects lipids and prevents the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Males – 10 milligram of alpha-Tocopherol.
i.e. - 15 International unit .
Females – 8 milligrams of alpha-Tocopherol.
i.e. - 12 International unit .
Sources of the vitamin.
- Vegetable oils like cotton seeds oil, peanut oil, corn oil, sunflower oil etc.
- Meat, fish, milk, butter, egg, yolk etc.
- Also available in form of capsules [ e. Evion -400 and Evion 600 mg]
Ways to use vitamin E Capsules:
- The gel capsule can be used to reduce scars on the face, helps to get rid of pimples and tightens the skin.
- The gel of 3-4 capsules may be applied in root tips of hair for 30 minutes and wash your hairs which fastens the hair growth.
- The gel helps to reduce dark circles if massaged with fingertips and kept for overnight and wash the face.
- By massaging gel on nails cuticles which makes nails soft.
Benefits of vitamin E:
A) Skin Benefits:
- Act as a moisturizer.
- Reverses premature skin aging.
- Lightens Dark Spots.
- Treats sunburn.
- Act as a cleansing Agent.
- Heal's dry fingernails.
- Treats stretch Marks.
- Soothes pain from cold sores.
B) Hair Benefits :
- Stimulates Hair growth.
- Prevents premature greying.
- Give lustrous hair.
- Repairs split ends.
C) Health Benefits :
- Health minor burns.
- Lightens scars.
- Prevents skin cancer.
- Treats other skin Disorders.
Deficiency of vitamin E :
- Impairment of immune response
- Red blood cell destruction
- Skeletal myopathy
- Ataxia etc.
Toxicity of Vitamin E :
- It can act as anticoagulant so its toxicity can lead to increase the risk of bleeding.
- Vision deficiencies
- It also counteracts leads to a deficiency of vitamin K.